Setting Up A Diaper Changing Station: Things To Consider
Let’s face it: you probably aren’t going to be jumping for joy at the thought of changing your little one’s dirty diapers. It goes without saying that changing nappies isn’t at the top of the list of favourite things about parenting for most parents.
However, since newborn babies can easily go through 10 diapers daily, it would be best if you’ve got all the supplies and the right set-up to make this unpleasant task as fuss-free and easy as possible. For all new parents out there, fret not, as we have compiled a list of all the things you should consider when setting up a diaper changing station for you and your little one.
Ready to pull off the perfect diaper changing station? Keep on reading!
Choosing a location for your changing station is the first thing to check off your to-do list.
For reference, most parents decide to set up their diaper changing station in the baby’s nursery -- since it is a place where you will be spending a lot of your time. Some other areas you may consider are the living room or perhaps your bedroom. Wherever you choose, convenience is key! This means that the location you settle on should make changing times as easy and low-stress as possible.
Now, moving on to the actual set-up.
Generally, you have two options when setting up a diaper changing station:
- Changing table: a piece of furniture made exclusively for changing diapers.
- A dresser or other piece of furniture that has a stable, flat top and is wide enough to accommodate a changing mat. A changing mat is a handy tool that provides a comfortable, cushioned surface for your little one to lie on.
Both options will aid in setting the foundation for creating the ideal diaper changing station. Remember, there will likely be lots of wriggling involved, so make sure whatever surface you decide on is sturdy and stable!
Here are the must-have essentials that every well-stocked baby changing station needs:
- Wipes: It is likely that you will go through these quickly, so having plenty of them on hand will be useful. Be sure to choose wipes that are natural, organic and fragrance-free to ensure that it does not disrupt the pH of your baby’s skin and cause irritation. We’d recommend CloverSoft’s Unbleached Bamboo Pure Water Organic Baby Wipes which are thicker than usual wipes and are free of alcohol, parabens, chlorine and other chemicals.
For more information on caring for your baby’s skin, check out our previous article!
- Nappies: Of course, no diaper changing station is complete without nappies. Instead of opting for the conventional disposable diaper, why not consider a reusable nappy, which is much better for the environment in the long run! Purebaby’s reusable nappies are made from organic cotton, making them perfect for your little one’s delicate skin.
- Diaper change cream: When it comes to diaper rash, prevention is better than cure. A good diaper change cream is a product with two possible uses. It can be used preventively for babies with reactive skin during each change, to create an insulating protective layer. On occasion, it can also be used to treat or soothe diaper rash or other forms of redness. It is important to choose a diaper cream that is not ladened with harsh chemicals. Try out Laboratoires de Biarritz Diaper Change Cream that repairs, soothes, and protects. Its formula is minimalistic and pure – which means that it is well tolerated by the skin.
And there we have it – some tips and things to consider which will help you pull off the best diaper changing station set-up. With an excellent set-up comes fuss- and mess-free changing times, so investing in high-quality products is definitely a good idea!
Whether you are looking for an organic muslin swaddle or diaper changing mat in Singapore, the baby closet is your one-stop shop for high-quality and organic baby essentials. Our curated collections feature eco-friendly and sustainable products that are 100% safe for your little one.
Check out our collections today!